Roads are not a safe place to ride a horse, but sometimes doing so is necessary. With a little preparation, though, road riding can be a (relatively) safe and enjoyable way to expand your riding horizons… without getting squished by a bad driver!
Listen weekly as Meredith and Apollo share about their multi-year 48-state journey (The Centauride), talk with interesting guests, and discuss the realities of domestic abuse.
Or find us on your favorite streaming app.
What to Listen For:
00:25 Introduction to the episode
01:20 Why would anyone ride a horse on the road?
04:51 How do you choose a good road for riding?
06:20 Preparing with safety gear
09:48 Be able to call for help
10:34 Hoof safety for road riding
13:46 Training your horse to think and to trust
16:04 “Scary things are going to happen.”
16:51 A list of scary things Apollo and I have encountered
18:02 That one mailbox…
19:37 The time we were buzzed by a helicopter
22:21 The (first) time we rode next to a train
25:46 Scary dogs and scary people
31:18 “It’s a big game of chicken, and I’m stuck in the middle”: dealing with bad drivers
34:14 Closing statements
35:16 End of episode
*all product links are affiliate or sponsor, and help support the Centauride’s mission
Follow Our Adventure:
Support This Podcast:
Sponsor inquires welcome!
Post a Comment
You are invited to join the conversation!
Please keep the following in mind when posting your comments:
- You do not need to register to comment
- You may comment anonymously
- You may post questions, and I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.
- You may disagree. But please do so respectfully.
- I reserve the right to delete inappropriate or rude comments.
- You are the sole owner of your comments.
- You grant me license to publish your comments in another venue, royalty free and without limitations, including in a blog, book, video, or presentation.